Monday, October 5, 2009

PR Post #6- Greetings and International Publics

My communications teacher in high school was also an international model. She told us that before going to any country, it was important to know how to say "hello" or how to greet people in the native language. People appreciate that you took the time to learn how to greet them in their native language, and as a result they will be a lot more friendly and helpful.

From a PR perspective, I would say this goes hand-in-hand with dealing with international publics. In addition, something so easy and that takes so little time is worth doing.

In PR principles I am working on the Diversity Calender, which involves researching major holidays in the most populous countries and compiling them into one calender. PR practitioners will be able to use this when traveling or working with international publics to their advantage. I figured I would add the element of saying "hello" in major languages to my research and I am providing the link to the most extensive website that I found on my blog.

The set up is a little confusing. Each line is devoted to one language. The first part of the line is the language itself. After in parentheses is the country or region in which the language is used. After in brackets there might be a specific situation the phrase is used, (specifying to a man or women, etc) after the brackets is the phrase itself.
Ex.
Aguateco (Huehuetenango Guatemala) [to man] Tzu ta'

This site's home page and drop bar also have links to lists to 15 other phrases such as "thank you," "please," and "My name is..."

No comments:

Post a Comment